Thursday, 1 March 2012

Berlin in the Snow


















Lesson number one in Berlin: everything happens in duos. Thermals, woolly jumpers, tights, socks, gloves and scarves were all coupled up with loving partners; every inch of my blue self entirely covered up. This balancing act of pairs waltzing on the dancefloor of my shoulders had nothing to do with looking pretty - I must confess the last thing on your mind when you are spending an entire day outside in minus twenty degree weather (or colder) is whether your socks match or your nails are painted. However, in spite of feeling less-than glamorous trawling around in my dad's enormous black waterproof boots (the only suitable footwear at hand), layering up meant that, most of the time, I was relatively warm and could devote myself to taking photos... 

The temperature was too cold for it to snow, but the areas away from the roads still had a wonderfully thick blanket, which muffled our footsteps as we explored the silent city. Allow me to explain the oxymoronic phrase: despite it being the capital, sometimes it felt oddly lonesome as there were almost no people in sight! Perhaps the cold lured people indoors, leaving only us, mad as hatters, running loose among the graffitied walls interspersed with ancient monuments. This diversity really struck me because it felt like two worlds colliding; only in Berlin have I seen an entire settlement titled "Trash City" (title self-explanatory when you saw the piles of decaying sofas and dustbins) in close proximity to a Gothic church. It was a strangely magnetising world, even if slightly deserted.

5 comments:

  1. Those photos are beautiful! I have found your blog recently, it's lovely! - followed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Berlin, it's high on my list of places to visit, but still hadn't found my way there... I've heard so many good things, it does look lovely!
    And sure dear, you can add me to your links, thanks for your sweet words ^^
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are so beautiful! I really want to visit Berlin - especially now I've seen these! Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm now following yours x

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a lovely post sweetie, stop being so amazing!! hehe
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING pictures :) Thank you so much for your comment, it made me smile SO wide. haha I don't usually take too much pride in my hair so it's always surprising when someone compliments it :P And getting my offers was seriously like falling in love. I really can't wait!!! Are you moving somewhere for uni?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are read, I assure you - and responded to, when I have a moment to spare!